Laurel Barnes Co Dept. Chair
Chris Sale Co Dept. Chair
All students at Lindero Canyon pursue studies within our Social Science program. Our program emphasizes writing and research skills preparing students for two major middle school learning experiences.
The annual event of the Olde World Faire, for seventh graders in June, provides all students with hands-on experiences they will remember forever.
Honors courses are provided for highly advanced academic students who have consistently demonstrated skills above grade level. The criteria for recommending a student from his or her current placement in a regular level class to an Honors Placement for the following school year are as follows:
- The student must have maintained a minimum 90% in his or her regular language arts class for two consecutive semesters prior to application for Honors Language Arts.
- The student must have maintained a minimum 90% in writing and a minimum 90% in literature and 100% in AR for two consecutive semesters prior to application for Honors Language Arts.
- The student must have earned advanced scores on all English Language Arts reading and writing sections on the Renaissance Star test. The student just also have scored at a minimum 80 percentile** reading level on the the most recent STAR Universal Screener Test given prior to application for Honors Language Arts. **or Lexile levels as indicated here:
- Grade 6: 1200
- Grade 7: 1345
- Grade 8: 1465
- The student must have maintained an A in Social Science for two consecutive semesters.
- The student must have maintained an A in regular Language Arts (or a B in honors Language Arts with an A in the Language Arts writing category) for two consecutive semesters.
- A student meeting these criteria may have his or her name submitted by the current Language Arts and/or Social Science teachers to the applicable honors review committee(s). Parents whose student meets the above criteria and would like their student to be considered should contact their student’s current Language Arts and/or Social Science teachers via email. The applicable honors committee(s) will review all student materials and make the final decision on the appropriate placement.
- Continued Placement: Students enrolled in an honors class must maintain a “B” or higher semester grade in order to remain in the honors class. Students with less than an 80% will automatically be placed in a regular level class at the semester.